criminal use of linux [not]

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 07:13:33 UTC 2012

On 2 August 2012 07:01, Richard Vickery <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is it Criminal use of Linux, or more like criminal use of the world's
>> worst copyright and patent.
>> My take on this is that as Microsoft owns C++ anything written in C++ like
>> code falls under copyright.
>

> Er... nobody can take ownership over work that you have written, Your work
> is your own, regardless of whether they own the language you write it in or
> not.
>
> Where is it stated that Micros[hi]t owns C++? when did this happen? You
> can't own something in the free domain? This is like saying that I own
> English and you can't use it unless I say so - it's stupid and ridiculous.

Indeed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B C++ has nothing to do with
Microsoft. Even in C#, which they developed and where they own key
components of the run-time, code you write belongs to you (though
licensing of compiled binaries can be interesting depending on your
compiler license - in exactly the same way some people call GPL
infectious).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk