kernel-headers downgrade failure

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 11:50:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 12:38:13PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:26:43 +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > That said, maybe the Fedora repos can keep more than one (say 2-3)
> > versions of the kernel in case some users need to downgrade and don't
> > have it in their cache?
>
> IMO, the community would be served better if they tried packages from
> updates-testing early and more often.
>
> Individual users may keep copies of installed packages, e.g. via
> yum-plugin-local or by saving Yum cache contents, but evaluating
> updates-testing should be the primary way to check new updates for
> bugs.

Well the comment about trying packages from updates-testing is always
true.  I often try to do that, but sometimes it is not possible because
you might want to have an extremely reliable system for a couple of
months or so.  You hold off updates that require reboots or logouts and
soon your local cache is outdated, and a future downgrade fails.

--
Suvayu