kernel-headers downgrade failure

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:50:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 16:14:20 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> > 1) Ticket history reveals that there has been a very quick response
> > by davej: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_activity.cgi?id=843826
> > So, your bug report has not been ignored, albeit reassigned to a
> > different component without any comment. Hot potatoe...
>
> yes, but xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.20.1-1.fc17.x86_64 works fine
> with kernels before 3.5 and the hardware i use in the bugreport
> is not exotic

Let's not talk past eachother. I didn't claim there was no bug.
Only davej could tell why a 3.5.0 kernel test-update has been offered
inspite of this early-warning bug report.

All I understand is that the Fedora test-update process does not guarantee
that the update -- if pushed to stable -- will be free of bugs and free
of regression for everyone.

It will need some project policies to determine whether a single user's
bug report could block an update, or whether maintainers are permitted
to overrule bug reporters => sometimes trade-off decisions are necessary.
Current testing only scratches the surface. It could be that 3.5.0 fixes
many more issues than it causes regression.

> > In retrospect, I cannot tell whether davej should not have submitted
> > 3.5.0-2.fc17 as a test update three days later, knowing that 3.5.0-1.fc17
> > causes problems. It looks like there is disagreement about the problem
> > you've reported.
>
> but the problem is there

Repeating that again and again is nothing else than going in circles.
Sure, this problem affects you personally.
However, more interesting is to figure out what has gone wrong related
to the bug report and how to avoid failures like that in the future
(e.g. with a more restrictive update policy and disabled karma automatism
in bodhi for some packages). Humans make mistakes. It can happen that if
a bug report is not clear and concise, its impact is not recognized.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.5.0-2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.07 0.07 0.09