kernel-headers downgrade failure

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Aug 3 20:41:28 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 01:09 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 3 August 2012 19:14, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>> On 08/03/2012 03:26 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>>
>>> That said, maybe the Fedora repos can keep more than one (say 2-3)
>>> versions of the kernel in case some users need to downgrade and don't
>>> have it in their cache?
>>

>> By default, yum keeps the most recent 3 kernels installed.  How often do you
>> think users need to downgrade past that?
>>

> But not the kernel headers, or indeed any other package.

I was under the impression that they were kept until the kernel they
applied to was removed.  And, as I understand it, the headers for each
kernel are kept in a separate directory named after the version.  If
they're not kept (and my understanding of their location is correct)
then you should be able to get them back if needed, without downgrading
the kernel.