how to run install from tty/command line?

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Fri Aug 3 20:46:17 UTC 2012

Thanks for your response.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos at gmail.com> wrote:
> i used live-creator to put a boot image on a usb thumb drive; worked
> great...

I have access to an image. I am able to boot it. Switching to a thumb
drive seems unlikely to improve things, since my problem seems to be
that the installer does not like my graphics, which is a really old
thing integrated into the motherboard of this old server. The
installer boots but will only let me talk to to it from the tty. So my
question is, can I continue installing from the tty?

In case its still not clear, here's what I did:

* I put in the disk and boot.
* see bios screen
* see fedora 17 screen
* hit esc, see output from many daemons starting apparently with success
* screen displays  "analog input cannot display this video mode"
(maybe x or gconfd is starting?)
* I hit ctl-alt f3 and am able to log in as root with no password.
* I google the error message, get so many hits, none seem relevant.
all about fc3, fc7.
* narrow down google search to fc17, 2 irrelevant hits
* write desperate emails to fedora users list

I need advice showing me either 1) how to fix X and get the gui
installer visible or 2) proceed with install from command line or 3)
reboot & start installer in text mode.

I've done text mode on previous versions of fedora, but when I follow
the directions in the fc17 install guide, I can't seem to find the
right magic. It says to type in "linux text" at the boot prompt. Error
message is "Could not find kernel image: linux". Maybe that's not
really the boot prompt? Maybe the guide is not telling me everything I
need to type in to the prompt?

Anyhow, thumb drive seems unlikely to help.
Thanks anyhow.

TDB

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>
>> When I boot from the fc17 install DVD, I am not able to get the
>> installer to run in gui or text mode. But I can log in as root by
>> hitting ctl-alt-f3. Is there a way to run the installer from there?
>> mahalo,
>> TDB
>> --
>

> --

Q: Why should this email be 5 sentences or less?
A: http://five.sentenc.es
IPRC-help FAQ: https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1RAeijiOXg2BxFuQ_tJejljH9r5GdNDc0DktI9k1j0jU/edit