kernel-headers downgrade failure

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Aug 3 21:16:32 UTC 2012

Joe Zeff wrote:
> I was under the impression that they were kept until the kernel they
> applied to was removed.  And, as I understand it, the headers for each
> kernel are kept in a separate directory named after the version.  If
> they're not kept (and my understanding of their location is correct)
> then you should be able to get them back if needed, without downgrading
> the kernel.

kernel-headers != kernel-devel

The kernel-headers package is for GLIBC usage and contains header files
located in /usr/include. Please see "rpm -ql kernel-headers" output. You
only have this package installed if you installed glibc-devel and only
installed glibc-devel if you are compiling software. This is not
installed as part of a default Fedora install. Only one kernel-headers
package is maintained on your system.

The kernel-devel package is for compiling kernel modules and indeed
these development files are in kernel version specific directory names.
You will have a matching kernel-devel package for each kernel package
installed if you have installed kernel-devel. Like kernel-headers
kernel-devel must be manually installed by the user.