fedora 16 to 17upgrade fails again

Patrick Dupre pdupre at kegtux.org
Sun Aug 5 09:53:40 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-05 10:44, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> On 2012-08-05 02:00, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 08/05/2012 07:24 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>>>

>>> This is the second time that it happens:
>>> The uograde from fedora 16 to 17 fails with the message:
>>> The /usr merge script failed. THis is required for Fedora 17 to
>>> work. The upgrade cannot continue.
>>>
>>> Then, it is impossible to boor on the previous installation.
>>>
>>> This is a real serious bug (x86_64)
>>>

>> I may be a serious problem.  But it won't get addressed if you don't
>> file a *detailed* bugzilla.  On your F16 system, did you have /usr
>> on
>> a separate partition?
>
> Yes,
>
> I have /
> /usr
> /usr/lib
> /usr/local
> /home
>
> (Old fashion, like it was recommanded a while ago).
>
>> An upgrade failure is annoying.  But, should never be fatal.  In
>> that
>> doing a backup before hand simply results in one doing a fresh
>> install.
> Yes I have a backup, but it would better to undertsand before
> reinstalling again
> because this failure is reproducible. In fact probably very little
> need to repaired.
> I have other machines to update.

This were the issue is:
in update.py
Why anaconda tries to make symbolic link when it is just regular
partition?
So, how can I go back to the previous configuration?
How, can I anticipate the issue?

def upgradeUsr(anaconda):
     """
     Handle the upgrade of /bin, /sbin, /lib, /lib64 to symlinks into
/usr/
     This uses dracut's convertfs module
     """
     dirs = ["/bin", "/sbin", "/lib", "/lib64"]
     dirs = [ROOT_PATH+d for d in dirs]
     if all(map(os.path.islink, dirs)):
         log.info("upgradeusr dirs are already symlinks")
         return

     if anaconda.intf is not None:
         w = anaconda.intf.waitWindow(_("Upgrade /usr symlinks"),
                             _("Running /usr merge script"))

     if
iutil.execWithRedirect("/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/30convertfs/convertfs.sh",
                               [ROOT_PATH],
                               stdout="/dev/tty5", stderr="/dev/tty5"):
         log.error("convertfs failed")

         if anaconda.intf is not None:
             w.pop()
             rc = anaconda.intf.messageWindow(_("/usr merge failed"),
                            _("The /usr merge script failed. This is
required"
                              " for Fedora 17 to work. The upgrade
cannot continue."
                              "\n\n"))