Moonlight/Silverlight addition for Linux Firefox?

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 23:02:58 UTC 2012

On 8/5/2012 5:02 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 08/05/2012 04:49 PM, David wrote:
>>> Moonlight is dead. It also never supported DRM which was about the
>>> only useful use for it (accessing video-on-demand subscription sites
>>> that use Silverlight and DRM for its video streaming).
>>>
>>> https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/584023-moonlight-is-dead-so-is-silverlight
>>>

>> Moonlight is probably dead. It never worked well anyway. About as good
>> as the Flash want to bes. Silverlight last updated May 16, 2012.
>>
> So then I would question (only because I've just recently upgraded to
> F17 from F16, and I'll want to be able to watch streaming/flash
> videos...) what alternatives are out there for such tasks?....or is
> there a version of Silverlight for Linux? (which I HIGHLY doubt!)

Silverlight has always been been a Microsoft product. And no I seriously
doubt that Microsoft will use the resources necessary to produce a Linux
version.  :-)

Moonlight was an attempt to 'make one for Linux'. Silverlight was never
very popular and at the moment I can not think of a site that requires
Silverlight. None that I use anyway. So I would thing that was why the
project stalled.

You are aware that Adobe has announced that Flash feature updates have
been discontinued for Linux? And that other than security fixes what you
have it what you have?

--

  David