boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 6 01:23:31 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Richard Vickery
<richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Me confused. I want to try booting the FC17 install disk in lowres or
>> text mode. To do this, apparently I should enter "linux lowres" or
>> "linux text" at the "boot prompt".
>>
>> The fc17 install guide
>>
>> (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/ap-admin-options.html)
>> says, "To use boot options, enter linux option at the boot: prompt. To
>> access the boot: prompt on a system that displays a graphical boot
>> screen, press the Esc key while the graphical boot screen is
>> displayed. "
>>
>> If I hit esc before the "fedora 17 will boot in 10 seconds" screen, or
>> while that is visible, I get what seems like a boot prompt - at the
>> top of the screen it says "boot:" and I am able to type in "linux
>> text". But when I hit enter, it replies "Could not find kernel image:
>> linux".
>>
>> If I hit esc later than that, during the pretty screen with the line
>> crawling along the bottom, it just switches from that view to the log
>> from starting daemons.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me how to get into text mode? What did I do wrong?
>> thanks,
>> TDB
>> --
>

> I think you are telling it to look for "linux text" and there is no such
> filename in the user-group. Try typing your user-name, after which it should
> - if I correctly understand the problem -ask you for your password.

If that was my problem, wouldn't the error message say something about
no such username/password, rather than "Could not find kernel image:
linux"? I am booting the dvd, which has no username for me yet.

If I let the boot proceed without trying to force it into text mode
and wait for the video mode error message, at that point I can hit
ctl-alt-f3 and escape into the command line tty. At that point it asks
for a username, and if I type in 'root' it logs me in without any
password. I suppose I could proceed with the install, or maybe tweak
the video setup, at that point, but I don't know what to do.

thanks,
TDB

> --

Q: Why should this email be 5 sentences or less?
A: http://five.sentenc.es
IPRC-help FAQ: https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1RAeijiOXg2BxFuQ_tJejljH9r5GdNDc0DktI9k1j0jU/edit