boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 08:54:00 UTC 2012

On 6 August 2012 06:20, Richard Vickery <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Richard Vickery
>> <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I think you are telling it to look for "linux text" and there is no such
>> > filename in the user-group. Try typing your user-name, after which it
>> > should
>> > - if I correctly understand the problem -ask you for your password.
>>
>> If that was my problem, wouldn't the error message say something about
>> no such username/password, rather than "Could not find kernel image:
>> linux"? I am booting the dvd, which has no username for me yet.
>>
>> If I let the boot proceed without trying to force it into text mode
>> and wait for the video mode error message, at that point I can hit
>> ctl-alt-f3 and escape into the command line tty. At that point it asks
>> for a username, and if I type in 'root' it logs me in without any
>> password. I suppose I could proceed with the install, or maybe tweak
>> the video setup, at that point, but I don't know what to do.
>>
>> thanks,
>> TDB
>>

> The problem is that you don't have that image; the OS needs that kernel
> image to operate. You may need to re-install, or maybe - I have never tried
> this - get that same file from somewhere on the internet, perhaps one of us.
> I'm not so sure that the second method will work; perhaps we can get someone
> with a lot more knowledge than I have to help.

Something doesn't make sense here, Dave is booting the install disc, I
wouldn't expect there to be any files missing. So far as I can see
from the anaconda documentation "linux text" should work, I can try it
later. What disc is this exactly? Install DVD? Live disc? Anyone know
how the anaconda arguments should work?

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk