F17 upgrade with yum

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Mon Aug 6 13:30:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 09:24 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Since I'm stick in F17 limbo due to the stupid 'dirty filesystem' bug in
> the normal upgrade process, it looks like I'm going to have to do an
> upgrade via yum.
>
> Who's done it and what were your experiences?  I am planning to do mine
> on an Samsung netbook that's not quite a year old.  It's got plenty of
> RAM and drive space and it runs F16 really well.
>
> --
>
> Mark Haney
> Software Developer/Consultant
> AB Emblem
> markh at abemblem.com
> Linux marius.homelinux 3.4.6-1.fc16.x86_64 GNU/Linux

It works.  I updated four systems.  Two Dell laptops (different models),
a Lenovo ThinkPad  and an eMachines desktop.  I followed the process
documented on the Fedora Project page:

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

There's a specific section on F16 to F17.  Note for example the dracut
stuff.

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Founder, See How You Ski