Cargo Cult sysadmining

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Mon Aug 6 21:13:07 UTC 2012

On 6 August 2012 22:05, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> Which means, of course, that you have a good reason for starting out the
> way you do.  Not, IMAO, cargo cult.

There are plenty of reasons for disabling SELINUX (well, this one is
for RHEL actually but hey, see
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/relnotes.112/e23558/toc.htm#CJADHDFJ)
and they're valid. On the other hand, it should be set to permissive
as discussed. (On the other hand when I do that, I get mails from
various people about the "errors" in the logs). The hardest thing is
to teach people which errors/warnings to pay attention to and which
errors/warnings can be ignored reasonably. Unfortunately Oracle has
taken 11.1 documentation down, otherwise I could quote "disable
SELINUX" bit. (Thanks Oracle, you stopping supporting it doesn't mean
us real-world techies have stopped still using and battling with it).