Cargo Cult sysadmining

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 7 04:01:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 08:52 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> I can think of one item you missed from your list:
>
> Disable IPv6 (disabling it cures cancer!)

Actually, I don't have a problem with disabling that.  Depending on your
reasons, though...

In my case, short of replacing my modem/router with something else, I
can't use IPv6 over the net (I still haven't seen anything in the shops
stating that it supports IPv6).  Thanks to that, using an internal IPv4
to IPv6 proxy is useless, I'd need an external proxy (haven't gone
looking for one of them, and my ISP has never sent me any newsletters
about IPv6 on their network, so if they've implemented anything, we
don't know about it).  And I still don't know of any websites that I'm
interested in that are IPv6-only accessible.

And as far as internal networking is concerned, I don't need it.  I
already have working IPv4, and it's got more than sufficient addresses
for my needs.  And a few bits of my internal equipment are IPv4-only,
but otherwise working fine, and I don't want to waste money replacing
them.

So, it's of theoretical interest, only, at this stage.  Even though I've
seen announcements that IPv4 addresses have already run out.  I've yet
to see stories of it actually being a problem.  It'll happen eventually,
but so far it's only been that "the sky is falling."

Not to mention that it'll be yet another networking thing that I'll have
to learn about.  I don't envy the support staff at ISPs in helping
clueless computer users about getting IPv6 working.  And I wonder just
how badly Windows is going to manage it, considering that they've always
had a propensity to share out resources to the entire network, not just
the LAN, and using IPv6 in the way that it's intended won't have a NAT
between you and the internet, breaking networking in ways that tend to
protect the clueless.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686