Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 11:34:12 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, 7. August 2012. 14.44.32 Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 00:48 -0400, Doug wrote:
> > Well, here's my 2ยข: I think naming is dumb, *because* there is no
> > logical sequence to it--the reader does not know whether the named
> > version is current, last year's, or 2005's.
>
> The naming is in *addition* to the release number.  There's no technical
> problem in giving it a name.  Just, perhaps, a logistical problem if
> people keep referring to names that people are unfamiliar with.

Also, giving a name to the particular release of a distro has a
social/emotional character, like giving a name to a newborn child. It is only
natural that developers are emotionally attached to their latest "creation",
and want to give it a name, a form of personal touch.

People do the same thing for servers, CPU's, automobiles, fishing rods, dogs,
cats, hurricanes, etc... It happens all the time, and is a very natural human
behavior.

Folks who dislike giving a name to a distro don't need to participate in the
naming process. As for criticizing the idea, they should first think if they
would be willing to name their newborn son as "Child-25/07/2012-male", or
would they prefer to call him "Frank Jr.". ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko