Cargo Cult sysadmining

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Tue Aug 7 12:14:27 UTC 2012

On 06.08.2012 22:38, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 01:29 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>>> I can think of one item you missed from your list:
>>>
>>> Disable IPv6 (disabling it cures cancer!)
>>
>> OK, but what if I don't need it? You can say that it's harmless etc. But
>> why the hell then, people recompile the kernel to disable other unused
>> modules/features? Are they cargo cult sysadmins?
>>
>> Maybe it's not so bad idea to disable all unused pieces of software in
>> your system?
>>

> IMAO, it all depends on why you're disabling it.  Are you doing it
> because you don't use it and don't ever expect to (Short-sighted, if
> you ask me, but it's your box, not mine.) or are you disabling it to
> avoid problems that it either doesn't cause or, at least, hasn't
> caused in a long time?

Personally, I'm not disabling anything because I'm to lazy (I prefer to
install as minimal system as possible and then install what's needed)
but I understand people that does disable things.

IPv6 is the future but as someone has already written in lot of cases
it's not supported by routers and ISP's so having it enabled in your OS
is pointless. I'll revers your argumentation - it doesn't add any value
in such systems (yes, it also does no harm). I can easily say that in my
home network I'll not use IPv6 in next 5 years, in my work maybe 2 years.

Mateusz Marzantowicz