Cargo Cult sysadmining

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Tue Aug 7 12:22:11 UTC 2012

Once, long ago--actually, on Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 09:29:49PM -0700--jdow (jdow at earthlink.net) said:
> Then I discovered a property of Windows. If your motherboard goes
> bad and you can't replace it with an exact replacement the system and
> all other software installed on that disk are suddenly useless. (Yes,
> you can at least recover the files. But you cannot recover the installs.)

Ah...just a parenthetical aside.  This is quite untrue.  I've replaced
failed motherboards on numerous Windows installations of various versions.
You usually have to do a recovery reinstallation, but it does work, and
your installed programs, data, etc. are all preserved.

I'm not defending Windows--this is more along the lines of "Know thine
enemy".  If you're trying to promote Linux, but express actual falsehoods
about Windows, people will discount all your views.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com