boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:23:51 UTC 2012

On 7 August 2012 12:33, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 03:58 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
>> Still hoping someone who knows the difference between the live and
>> installer discs will chip in here. The kernel image on the Live disk
>> is vmlinuz0, but that doesn't boot the same way as the documentation
>> for the install disc one says. I can only guess the install disc
>> provides a different kernel image as substituting 'vmlinuz0 text' runs
>> into problems of no root="" and runs into a backtrace. That or the
>> documentation is wrong.
>> There is a low resolution graphics mode in the troubleshooting menu if
>> that would help at all.
>
> You could mount the iso images of a Live CD and the Install DVD to learn the differences.
>
> The kernel image is the same.  The initrd.img are vastly different.

I could do, assuming I had both to hand.  Can someone then explain why
the 'linux' command to boot works (assuming the documentation is
correct) on the install DVD, but not the Live DVD? So far as I can see
that should be the name of the image that gets started. Rather than
trying to compare them side by side and guess I was hoping someone who
knows could actually explain what processes are going on here.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk