Fedora 17 boot problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Aug 7 18:07:05 UTC 2012

On 07/08/12 12:48, Mark C. Allman types:

> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 12:37 -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
> wrote:
>> I've just installed F-17/64/XFCE on what was an F-16/64 computer.
>>
>>      Initially everything worked as expected, it updated without a hitch.
>>      I was making my usual configuration changes, rebooted and now it
>>      stops just before the login screen. blank with just "Can not open
>>      font file True"
>>
>>      At this point I could reinstall but would lose an hours work and the
>>      bandwidth required for the update.
>>
>>      In rescue or whatever it's called I can see that the last change I
>>      made has no typos, [10-evdev.conf to fix the copy paste problem].
>>
>>      Any idea what I can do next?
>>
>>      Bob
>>
>>      --
>>      http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
>>
>>      box9
>>
> Sounds like X won't start.  Two ideas:
> 1.  Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> 2.  If you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf then rename it and reboot.

    Ok, that helped. I was surprised to find that I did have an error in
    my typing, had to use "vi" to fix and that is always a challenge for
    me. Still got the same error message.

    Then renamed/removed /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf and
    now I have a normal login gui but no cursor/mouse or keyboard inputs?

    Also can not ssh into box7 from this computer, box9, "no route."

    Is there a way to cause a text boot instead of the gui? If I could
    get past that things might work?

    Thanks,

    Bob

--