Cargo Cult sysadmining

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 7 18:15:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 10:35 -0500, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> A generic Linux installation seems better at detecting hardware
> changes "on the fly".

Yes, noticing it, and correctly getting it to work, without you
scrabbling around for driver discs, or files off the net.

> Windows doesn't really check for major component changes
> when booting

You've never had Windows notice that you've plugged in a new mouse, new
hard drive, graphics card, et cetera, and seen it grunt through the "new
hardware detected" routine, that often fails?

Granted I stopped battling with it the Vista stage, but I'd always seen
it do that sort of thing up to then (while booting before logon, and
post logon).  It has always been the most painful OS I'd ever seen, and
disposing of it has been the most pleasant computer experience I've had
in recent years.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686