Cargo Cult sysadmining

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Aug 7 18:35:35 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 11:15 AM, Tim wrote:
> You've never had Windows notice that you've plugged in a new mouse, new
> hard drive, graphics card, et cetera, and seen it grunt through the "new
> hardware detected" routine, that often fails?

Back when I was still dual-booting this box, I upgraded the video card.
  First I booted into Win98SE.  It detected the new card and insisted on
dropping down to a minimal 640X480 screen while I installed the new
drivers and rebooted.  Then, I had to tell it to go back to the proper
screen settings, after which I had to put almost every single icon back
where it belonged because Windows had moved them and only remembered the
new locations.

Then I booted into Linux.  It Just Worked.