Cargo Cult sysadmining

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 18:42:36 UTC 2012

On 2012/08/07 11:35, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 11:15 AM, Tim wrote:
>> You've never had Windows notice that you've plugged in a new mouse, new
>> hard drive, graphics card, et cetera, and seen it grunt through the "new
>> hardware detected" routine, that often fails?
>
> Back when I was still dual-booting this box, I upgraded the video card.  First I
> booted into Win98SE.  It detected the new card and insisted on dropping down to
> a minimal 640X480 screen while I installed the new drivers and rebooted.  Then,
> I had to tell it to go back to the proper screen settings, after which I had to
> put almost every single icon back where it belonged because Windows had moved
> them and only remembered the new locations.
>
> Then I booted into Linux.  It Just Worked.

7 is somewhat better in that regard. It's not perfect. It is better. And I
notice that on 7 nVidia drivers install without a reboot which is quite
astonishing and gratifying. It's almost Linux-like in that regard.

"If you are not cussing at your OS it's not working the way it was intended
to work."  {O,o}

{^_^}