Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 7 18:45:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 13:34 +0200, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> giving a name to the particular release of a distro has a
> social/emotional character, like giving a name to a newborn child. It
> is only natural that developers are emotionally attached to their
> latest "creation", and want to give it a name, a form of personal
> touch.

Likewise for the naming of other things, such as naming computers on the
network.  I would put a bit of thought into mine, rather than just
calling it "server."  Windows machines tended to be given hateful names
from mythology.  ;-)  e.g. We called a mail server Pandora, after
Pandora's Box, where all the evil in the world supposedly came from.  It
seemed appropriate at the time, and still does.  And I sent one PC back
to its owner, who was forever killing it, named Lazarus.

> As for criticizing the idea, they should first think if they
> would be willing to name their newborn son as
> "Child-25/07/2012-male",

I am not a number...                                   ;-)

(That'll probably go right over the heads of many list members.)

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.