Fedora 17 boot problem -

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Aug 7 19:37:39 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 11:33 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

>     Will try that but I guess it's good to bite the bullet and struggle
>     with vi once in a while. As long as I have a reference, a second
>     computer/browser, for commands I can squeak by.

*Shrug!*  By the time I first encountered vi, I'd gotten past the stage
of mastering obscure, counter-intuitive commands just for the challenge
of it.[1]  The few times I actually had to use it at work, I only
managed because of a cheat-sheet, and found it very uncomfortable to
use.  Later, here at home, I discovered Mork's Editor[2] and never
looked back.

>     Thanks Joe,

Any time.  I've no objections to people using (or even liking) vi, I
just think that everybody should be aware that there are other options,
so that they can find the one they like best.

[1]Back at JPL, in the mid-'80s, there was an editor with both screen
and line modes; I mastered the line mode partly Just Because and partly
because there were a few things that were easier to do that way.  Then,
when I had to work from home, it turned out that the VAX I was phoning
in to would only let me work in line mode because it wouldn't agree that
my modem program was emulating a VT-100.
[2]Please don't tell me I have to explain that one!