boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:19:10 UTC 2012

On 7 August 2012 16:49, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 11:44:31AM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
>> On 7 August 2012 09:40, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Disclaimer: I'm no expert.
>> >
>> > I do not think any Fedora Live media supports text mode install.  It is
>> > designed to present you a working desktop and if you like it, install to
>> > hard drive using anaconda.  A good example of a text mode live media
>> > would be the Archlinux boot image.
>> >

>> This certainly appears to be the case (though not really sure why you
>> make a point of saying 'any Fedora Live media' as there's more of a
>> distinction between that and the install media), but in that case the
>> documentation at:
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/ch-Boot-x86.html
>> is incorrect.
>>

> Confession: I haven't looked at the doc page you pointed to.
>
> I say "any Fedora Live media" because there is a distinction between
> Installation media, and Live media.  The official spins and remixes are
> live images, in the sense that you can boot to a working desktop without
> installing anything on your hard drive.  Whereas, installation media are
> the DVDs[1] which lets you install with all the installation methods and
> features supported by anaconda but *does not* give you a working desktop
> before installing to the disk.
>
> To summarise:
>
> 1. DVD installation media: no live desktop, but all installation methods
>    are supported.
>
> 2. Live media: presents you a working desktop without installation,
>    which can be optionally installated by limited support for different
>    installation methods.

Thank you, I really needed that explained...

My point, which I thought was clear, but maybe looking at the doc page
would have clarified, is that that page implies there is absolutely no
difference in what happens when you go to the boot prompt on the
different media. Since no-one else has apparently read it, here is the
appropriate section:

"You can boot the installation program using any one of the following
media (depending upon what your system can support):

"    Fedora DVD — Your machine supports a bootable DVD drive and you
have the Fedora installation DVD.
"    Fedora live CD — Your machine supports a bootable CD drive and
you have a Fedora live CD.
"    Boot CD-ROM — Your machine supports a bootable CD-ROM drive and
you want to perform network or hard drive installation.
"    USB flash drive — Your machine supports booting from a USB device.
"    PXE boot via network — Your machine supports booting from the
network. This is an advanced installation path. Refer to "Chapter 13,
Setting Up an Installation Server for additional information on this
method. "

It then goes on to describe the boot menu (which is correct) and the
alternate boot prompt, which is where it goes wrong.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk