Fedora 17 boot problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Aug 8 00:06:10 UTC 2012

On 07/08/12 14:49, Timothy Davis types:
> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 12:48 -0400, Mark C. Allman wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 12:37 -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
>> wrote:
>>> I've just installed F-17/64/XFCE on what was an F-16/64 computer.
>>>
>>>      Initially everything worked as expected, it updated without a hitch.
>>>      I was making my usual configuration changes, rebooted and now it
>>>      stops just before the login screen. blank with just "Can not open
>>>      font file True"
>>>
>>>      At this point I could reinstall but would lose an hours work and the
>>>      bandwidth required for the update.
>>>
>>>      In rescue or whatever it's called I can see that the last change I
>>>      made has no typos, [10-evdev.conf to fix the copy paste problem].
>>>
>>>      Any idea what I can do next?
>>>
>>>      Bob
>>>
>>>      --
>>>      http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
>>>
>>>      box9
>>>
>> Sounds like X won't start.  Two ideas:
>> 1.  Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> 2.  If you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf then rename it and reboot.
>>
> Actually sounds more like the radeon bug, kernel 3.5 is having issue
> with certain radeon cards.
>
> What are your system specs?

    I'm not sure about the spec's, dmidecode says it's a Dell Optiplex 755.

    Anyway I gave up and re-installed F-17 from the live usb stick and
    it's working as expected now.

    It was important to get the updates and additional applications done
    today since my bandwidth usage is limited by Viasat and I wanted to
    use up this months allocation which ends tonight. Did that!

    Thanks,

    Bob

    --
    http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD