F-17 SSH -

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Aug 8 16:23:26 UTC 2012

On 08/08/2012 07:01 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA issued this
missive::

>     Replaced F-16/64 with F-17/64 on "box7" and see a problem I seem to
>     have every time I do this.
>
>     Presently box7 will ssh into box9 but box9 can not get into box7,
>
>          [root at box9 .ssh]# ssh bobg at 192.168.1.7
>          ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.7 port 22: No route to host
>          root or user,
>
>          [bobg at box9 ~]$ ssh bobg at 192.168.1.7
>          ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.7 port 22: No route to host
>
>     sshd is enabled and running on both, I've tried rm'ing "known_hosts"
>     and letting it regenerate, all to no avail.
>
>     I've seen this with several generations of Fedora [and different
>     equipment] and it's always the same, a few days or weeks later it
>     magically begins to work! All my computers in this room connect to a
>     gigabit switch, [even the switch has been replaced], and our
>     wireless LAN.
>
>     At times this is a serious inconvenience leading to typing errors, etc.
>
>     Any ideas what I have missed?

"No route to host" is almost certainly a network issue. It means that
box9 has no network route to 192.168.1.7. Make certain that box9 has
its IP address and netmask set properly. If box9 is on a different
network than 192.168.1.7, make sure that the gateway is also set.
"traceroute 192.168.1.7" would also be your friend.
-  "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick"  -
-     themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."       -
-                                  -- Winston Churchill              -