Proxy/network configuration prevents yum and firefox but not konqueror (FC17)

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 19:08:34 UTC 2012

Don Levey wrote:
> I have one machine on my home network that I protect via a squid proxy -
> my kids' machine.  Somehow, something I (or they) did created a
> situation where I cannot connect externally via Firefox, and cannot
> connect to any repository via yum.  However, Konqueror doesn't seem to
> respect or use the proxy configuration, and can connect anywhere without
> restriction (regardless of the system settings).

and:
> Correction - Konqueror respects the proxy, and connect without a problem
> only to those sites permitted by the proxy.

How are you specifying the proxy (especially in Firefox?)

It’s possible to do this with http_proxy, HTTP_PROXY, and similar
environment variables. The Gnome 3 Network control panel applet also
allows you to configure the proxy, although I’m not sure if it actually
sets those variables (if you’re using NetworkManager – have you switched
to the old network service recently?).

Both Firefox and Konqueror can be set to use the “system configuration”,
or you can manually set them to use the proxy. (For example, in Firefox
on Linux, Edit menu -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings).

You can also specify a proxy for yum in /etc/yum.conf.

Can you try opening a terminal, and type in
echo $HTTP_PROXY / $http_proxy
If that just returns a /, then your environment variables have got lost
somehow (if they were ever set).

If I was you, I’d configure Firefox manually to keep the kids happy,
then investigate further. You might want to put appropriate environment
variables in /etc/bashrc, although I’m not sure in the days of systemd
how much picks up on that…

Hope this helps,

James.

--