Network problems and more!

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 01:39:55 UTC 2012

Ok, trying to make a long story short about my wife's Acer laptop...

Most recently on 3.3 kernels first the nm-applet (or is it called
something else in gnome-shell?) would die but networking would
continue to work for a while but then eventually it would stop too.
Usually a "systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" would fix it.

 With 3.4 kernels things have gotten much worse. Sometimes she can't
even log in all the way or networking doesn't work off the bat. Going
through /var/log/messages she's got a ton of the
"!DBUS_G_PROXY_DESTROYED" type messages and even dbus seems to die,
unfortunately trying to "restart" dbus doesn't seem to help

Searching for the dbus issue sends me to BZ#829258 which is marked as
a duplicate of 826706, which is marked as a duplicate of 817851, which
doesn't really sound like my problem, especially since the "fix" is
supposedly already in stable and the laptop is fully updated.

Also, possibly unrelated, she GDM seems to die once. It will come up
and if you wait for about 10 seconds it will go back to the VT and
then gdm will come up again. If she attempts to login without waiting
for gdm to come back it kicks her out and she has to login again.

Where do I start with this one? WAF is dropping rapidly...

Thanks,
Richard