Failed Migration to Linux

Mark Haney MarkH at abemblem.com
Fri Aug 10 14:04:32 UTC 2012

From: users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] on behalf of Mike Flannigan [mikeflan at att.net]
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 9:25 AM
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Failed Migration to Linux

FYI, my 3rd attempt to go to Linux failed.  Ubuntu
didn't get anywhere - the startup install screen
would not show, just a blank screen.  Tried 32 bit
and 64 bit - same

I've never known Ubuntu to bomb like that. Especially with an nVidia card. Must be some oddball setup
 you have there. Or, there's a hardware issue. Almost sounds like the video card isn't right. Maybe not seated correctly?

The main problem was no local home network connection
(unable to mount location).  I had internet connection
(unlike the previous time I tried to move to Linux), but
no home network.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure
it out, but no luck.  Maybe next time.

What shop you mean ' no home network'? I've got an entire home LAN setup. Windows and Linux. It's not out of the box however. You will need SAMBA for that. At least for seeing/interacting with Windows machines. It's really not that complicated to get that setup. I, or anyone, here can probably walk you through that.
 You aren't that far from getting a good setup. Seems a bit silly to give up just because of that.
  You don't need to figure it out on your own. That's why we have a mailing list for.  I'll be glad to work with you offlist if you like.

Mike Flannigan
http://www.mflan.com/index.htm