Proxy/network configuration prevents yum and firefox but not konqueror (FC17)

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Fri Aug 10 18:50:12 UTC 2012

On 8/9/2012 15:08, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Don Levey wrote:
>> I have one machine on my home network that I protect via a squid proxy -
>> my kids' machine.  Somehow, something I (or they) did created a
>> situation where I cannot connect externally via Firefox, and cannot
>> connect to any repository via yum.  However, Konqueror doesn't seem to
>> respect or use the proxy configuration, and can connect anywhere without
>> restriction (regardless of the system settings).
>
> and:
>> Correction - Konqueror respects the proxy, and connect without a problem
>> only to those sites permitted by the proxy.
>
> How are you specifying the proxy (especially in Firefox?)

James,
I've set the proxy in the Network Settings applet in systemsettings.
I've tried "use system proxy config" and the manual settings, setting
either to the network's squid server.  Either way I don't seem to see
$HTTP_PROXY/$http_proxy in my environment.

I've tried using Firefox in a similar fashion, either to see the system
proxy, or via manual connection.

I don't have anything set in yum.conf for a proxy.

Thanks!
 -Don