Failed Migration to Linux

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Sat Aug 11 01:34:49 UTC 2012

On 8/10/2012 7:53 PM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> He is usingi Windows NT 5. Windows 2000. Which is seriously old and long
> time EOL.:-)
>
> Win 2000 was not meant for home use. It was a business release and was
> very expensive. He either has a used machine that he bought at a swap
> meet or a Pirated copy. My 'guess' would be that Linux does not 'run'
> for him because his machine is too old and the hardware might require
> special (non free) drivers. And I would think that the money he says he
> will spend on Windows 7 will be a waste too.:-)

You are right about me using Win2000.  I'm the only
one I know who still uses it and it is still working
very good for me.  Hard to believe isn't it?

My main machine, which runs Win2000, was bought new in
2006.  If I had bought it 6 months later Win2000 would
not install on it.

The Linux went on a 6 core AMD 64 machine I had built last
weekend.  Now I have Win7 on that machine.

I think some people here are taking this post of mine out-
of-context.  My intent was to record my experience for myself
and for anybody who cares to see it on this list.  That is
all.  No slams intended.

I will almost surely be moving to Linux someday, but I
suspect it may still be years away.

Mike