Failed Migration to Linux

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Aug 11 03:40:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 07:56:55PM -0500, Mike Flannigan wrote:

> On 8/10/2012 10:28 AM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
<snip>
> >Why do you give us vague descriptions of a network problem? What does
> >"no home network" mean?
>
> It means my home network was not working with Fedora.
> The network did not see Fedora and Fedora did not see
> the other users on the network.

This still isn't terribly clear...
do you mean that WINDOWS machines on the network can't see  Fedora
as a member of the WINDOWS network? and vice-versa?

If so, I suggest you probably need to:
1. make sure samba is installed. on my  F17 machine it's samba-2:3.6.6-92.fc17.1. I think it is a placeholder that brings in all the other necessary packages.
But in case I'm wrong, you'd also need samba-client-2:3.6.6-92.fc17.1 and
samba-common-2:3.6.6-fc17.1.
2. we used to use system-config-services to make sure samba server starts
at boot, but I think in F17 that tool doesn't exist anymore. looks like
we need to use "systemctl enable samba" followed by either "systemctl
daemon-reload" or a reboot.
3. use the firewall configuration tool (system-config-firewall) to make
sure the necessary ports in the firewall are open. (make sure there is a
checkmark in the box for both "Samba" and "Samba  Client".)

if you've already got the samba stuff installed, it may be that you
only need to do #3 above. the default firewall is fairly closed, and
it does not let samba stuff thru without tweaking.

It's been a while since I've done this, so this is all from memory. I think
it's at least near-correct, though, if not perfect.

Good luck!

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us