Router logging -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 11 22:15:46 UTC 2012

On 11/08/12 17:26, Steven Stern types:

> Here are the relevant lines from my conf file:
>
> # Provides UDP syslog reception
> $ModLoad imudp
> $UDPServerRun 514
>
> # Provides TCP syslog reception
> $ModLoad imtcp
> $InputTCPServerRun 514
>

> ## hosts from which we accept logs ##
> :fromhost-ip,isequal,"192.168.123.51" /var/log/router.log
> & ~

    The only thing I can find that looks like it may be appropriate for
    this in /etc/rsyslog.conf:

        # remote host is: name/ip:port, e.g. 192.168.0.1:514, port optional
        #*.* @@remote-host:514
        name/192.168.1.9:514
        # ### end of the forwarding rule ###

    I do not see "## hosts from which we accept logs ##" anywhere?

> Then, I opened port 514 on the firewall and checked the "Use syslog"
> option on my router.

    Ok, I think I have that port open.

    Now I would like to send the output to /home/bobg/ulog

    Thanks for the help,

    Bob

    PS: We are having intermittent rain showers that block my k-band
    path to the Viasat satellite. An infrequent problem with this
    otherwise excellent service.

    --
    http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

    box9