possible problem with scp/ssh/telnet

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 12 22:57:26 UTC 2012

On 8/12/2012 4:54 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/12/2012 07:46 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
> Whatever you say....
>
> I look forward to your helping the OP to resolve his problem.

Ed:

What's interesting is I have not gotten any postings from Reindl so I
have no idea what he has posted except through your replies. I've
noticed that every now and then I will get a bunch of emails from Reindl
to the list and they are a day or two old.

Oh well.

It was a bad idea to go to sleep and come back today. Everything is
working now (of course!)

However, I dug through all of my notes and can find at least two other
times where this happened and it was able to resolve itself via reboots,
Windows disk cleanup, POM, whatever).

I have just spent an hour trying to reproduce and can't do it. My naive
guess is that something gets flagged "no" on the Windows side (whether
it is Windows or cygwin is unclear) and some action causes that to get
flagged "yes". And that is based on a total lack of knowledge about how
things are being handled in cygwin/Windows ... except that it appears to
be different as it is a Windows box, after all.

I fired off an email to the cygwin list to see if anyone there has any clue.

If anyone on this list has any ideas, I am more than willing to try.
That being said, I cannot reproduce the error and may have to wait
however long for it to want to show itself again.

Thanks for getting me focused on the right side of connection

Paul