Failed Migration to Linux

Mark Haney markh at abemblem.com
Mon Aug 13 13:46:38 UTC 2012

On 08/10/2012 08:56 PM, Mike Flannigan wrote:

>> Why do you give us vague descriptions of a network problem? What does
>> "no home network" mean?
>
> It means my home network was not working with Fedora.
> The network did not see Fedora and Fedora did not see
> the other users on the network.
>

> I did not intend for it to be a rant, but I am disappointed
> that I can't get Linux working.

I think there's a bit of a misapplied word (is that even acceptable
English?).  It sounds to me like you have Linux WORKING, just not
completely configured for your environment.  No OS is going to be
exactly how you want it out of the box, Linux maybe less so than others.

So, the issue isn't why is Linux not working, so much as what can I do
to get it configured the way I need it to work.

On the home network thing, what exactly do you need a way to browse the
Windows machines on your network?I have mine setup, but I tell you, I
never use it.  Granted, I'm more of a keyboard monkey, but virtually
every method of file access I need between windows and linux is done
with a CLI, even if it's wrapped inside a GUI.