Failed Migration to Linux

Mark Haney markh at abemblem.com
Mon Aug 13 18:46:27 UTC 2012

On 08/13/2012 02:17 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> On 08/13/2012 10:11 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Mark Haney wrote:
>>>
>>> Mark Haney seems to have a broad definition of "working".
>>> For most of us, "working" means more than booting.
>>
>> I don't think it's particularly broad.  I look at it this way, if
>> /everything/ else is doing what he wants, then it's working. Just
>> because it's not configured correctly isn't the same in my mind.  I
>> suppose you can make a case for /not working/, but to me, this isn't
>> something that is broken (ie NOT working).  When you buy a new car is
>> it working even though you need to adjust the seats and mirrors?  Or
>> the radio presets? Would you consider the car not working?
>
> Of course not.
> Even if I wanted the seats and mirrors preadjusted, I wouldn't expect it.
> I would expect to be able to find the adjustment controls and to use them.
> My inability to find or to use said controls
> would imply that the car was not working for me.
> That seems to be Mike Flannigan's situation.
>
> I deliberately avoided the word "broken".

I think you would agree that there's a big difference 'not working' and
'not working for me'.  Not working generally means broken.  It works for
no one.  Not working for me could mean it's broken, it could also be
lack of user experience.

Maybe two sides of the same coin, but my father and I had this very
discussion years ago.  Granted, at the time I was just trying to get out
of mowing on a technicality, but the arguments still apply.  (My
daughters have tried the same thing, actually.)