Failed Migration to Linux

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Tue Aug 14 00:26:00 UTC 2012

On 8/13/2012 12:35 PM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:

> I think there's a bit of a misapplied word (is that even acceptable
> English?).  It sounds to me like you have Linux WORKING, just not
> completely configured for your environment.  No OS is going to be
> exactly how you want it out of the box, Linux maybe less so than others.
>
> So, the issue isn't why is Linux not working, so much as what can I do
> to get it configured the way I need it to work.

Like others, I agree with this distinction.  I could not
get Fedora configured like I need it and I could not get
Ubuntu installed at all.

> On the home network thing, what exactly do you need a way to browse
> the Windows machines on your network?I have mine setup, but I tell
> you, I never use it.  Granted, I'm more of a keyboard monkey, but
> virtually every method of file access I need between windows and linux
> is done with a CLI, even if it's wrapped inside a GUI.

I need to be able to see the other computer folders, copy file
to and from the computers, do Winpop-like IM messaging, etc.
I backup one machine to the other - sometimes with the GUI and
often times with Perl scripts or batch files.

I'm no expert on command line interfacing, but I do a lot of
perl programming and execution via the command line.  I always
have one or two terminal boxes running.

I will contact you when I get going on Linux again - probably
through this list.  I sure appreciate the offer for help.

Mike