Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

David dgboles at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:23:48 UTC 2012

On 8/14/2012 9:43 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/14/2012 06:20 PM, David wrote:
>>
>> I like it*much*  better than The Ruptured Duck or Got the Trots Dog.
>
> If you're looking for names out of history, there are worse names than
> The Ruptured Duck.  It was, after all, the name of the B25 bomber flown
> by Lt. Ted W. Lawson in the Doolittle Raid.  (FYI, he was the one who
> wrote the book, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo.)  Not that I'd expect many
> people to recognize the the name any more, but you might be surprised at
> how many Fedora users grew up watching that movie.

Gee Joe. You studied history in school too?  :-) No I was not.

I am the child of WWII vets. I know most of the names of the people, the
places, and such. And, yes, I knew of The Ruptured Duck.

My grandfather and grandmother worked on the Manhattan project in New
Mexico. My mom, before I was born, was a Rosie and worked on airplanes.
My dad, before I was born, was wounded and almost died on his way to
Germany. My Uncle Cosmo lost a leg in Italy. My Uncle Wayne lost an eye
and a hand in France. June 6th, 1944. first wave. My dad's best friend,
and our neighbor, almost died in Iwo Jima. he was my friend too. He gave
me the dagger that the Japanese solder stabled him with before Harry
killed him. I could go on. But I won't.

All I meant was that the name should not, IMHO, be stupid like the ones
that Ubuntu picks.

--

  David