possible problem with scp/ssh/telnet

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Thu Aug 16 16:47:59 UTC 2012

Once, long ago--actually, on Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:27:51AM -0400--Bill Davidsen (davidsen at tmr.com) said:
> There are two parts to the processing, the firewall, which may
> reject incoming packets on port 22, and the daemon for ssh protocol
> (sshd on the Linux side), which actually listens on port 22. It
> appears that the daemon was not listening (probably not running).

SSH should be running as a service under Windows; older versions showed up
as "Cygwin sshd", IIRC, while current ones

> What makes it run on Windows is unknown to me, ...

Pretty simple, really, and not that much different from Linux or Unix.
"sshd" underlies everything; it's wrappered in the magic that's needed for
it to exist as an installed service in Windows by the installation script.

Once installed, just go to "Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services"
(or just run "services.msc" from the command prompt) and look for
"ssh"--it's either in there as "Cygwin ssh" or "ssh"; it's changed over the
years.  In either case, it should be running.

As for configuration, from within a Cygwin shell, go to /etc and look at
sshd_config.  You'll find the port set to the default of '22' (although I
*always* change it--just using a non-standard port gets rid of the vast
majority of doorknob rattlers).  I also always add, at the bottom, the
"AllowUsers" directive.  Again, even fewer options for them to try.

If it doesn't start as a service, look in /var/log (again, from within the
Cygwin environment).

Cygwin SSH has had its problems over the years, but the recent versions
have been much more reliable in their installation and stable in operation.
Definitely make sure you've the latest.

> ... I believe most Windows things are done by closed source
> proprietary magic, involving a man in a loincloth with feathers in
> his hair dancing around a fire waving a dead chicken.

Actually, I see a lot of that when people try to describe Linux...they
*can* go read the source, but they *don't*.

Fortunately, Cygwin is all FOSS.  But, again, the vast majority of people
never crack the source, so there's a certain amount of magic in their
interpretation of the vagaries of the behavior of different packages.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com