Illegal question...

Richard Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 23:16:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Jack Craig <jack.craig.aptos at gmail.com>wrote:

> Donning flame retardant cloak, I have a question for the network
> experienced...
>
> After doing a non-fedora install of a like OS (but more community centric;)
> , I find the network stack falls over if a user login on the console logs
> out!
>
> anyone ever seen seen such a weirdness?
>  I am not sure where to look for this and welcome any clues...

It's not clear if you are using NetworkManager or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
from your post.

My first instinct would be to look for a system log.

Is there a /var/log/messages file?

Does it show the network coming up when the system boots?
Does it show the network coming up when the console user logs in?

Is the console user automatically logged in when the system boots?

Does it show the network going down when the console user logs out?

Does this other OS support multitasking?

What is the pid of the console user?
Is the console user the parent for the networking tasks?

I could imagine, in a stripped down Linux-like OS,
rather than have /etc/rc.d/* start things up at boot,
rather than have systemd start things,
one might be sneaky (I'm trying to be kind),
and start the system in single user mode,
have the console user automatically logged in,
and things might be started by the console user.