Start daemon with parameters

Mark Haney markh at abemblem.com
Fri Aug 17 12:01:30 UTC 2012

Somehow, I've managed to either lose the root MySQL password or type it
incorrectly.  Either way, I can't use MySQL until I reset the password.
  I've tried the mysql_safe init file way, but MySQL bombed (wouldn't
start).  That might mean the package itself is buggered, but I know
mysqld starts fine.

Regardless, the other method to reset the root password is to start
mysqld with the --skip-grant-tables option.  I'm used to just hitting
/etc/init.d/mysqld from the CLI and starting it that way.  However, I've
noticed a distinct lack of an init.d/ directory in F17.

What's the latest method of starting a daemon manually and passing
parameters to it?

--

Mark Haney
Software Developer/Consultant
markh at abemblem.com
Linux marius.homelinux.org 3.5.1-1.fc17.x86_64 GNU/Linux