possible problem with scp/ssh/telnet

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Aug 12 10:05:05 UTC 2012

Am 12.08.2012 09:45, schrieb Ed Greshko:
> On 08/12/2012 03:40 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> Thanks for the prompt reply. I got the same message for telnet as I did for ssh and scp. And, as I re-read my email, I managed to not report that message (I actually did, but that was before I got a log message and it apparently got wiped out when I reworded from "nothing in /var/log/messages" to "I got something".
>>
>> I just powered my F16 box back on and did a ssh/telnet/scp. The message is
>>
>> +++
>> [ssh,scp,telnet]: connect to host krazy port 22: Connection refused
>> +++
>
> That normally means that the port is open on the remote side (krazy being your cygwin host) but that the server is not running.

wrong

this means that service is not running or a proper firewall configuration is active
iptables can reject with "icmp-port-unreachable" and behaves exactly like that
however, i drop packages since a DDOS where you do not want additional
traffic with ICMP responses......
______________________

Valid reject types:
icmp-net-unreachable ICMP network unreachable
net-unreach alias
icmp-host-unreachable ICMP host unreachable
host-unreach alias
icmp-proto-unreachable ICMP protocol unreachable
proto-unreach alias
icmp-port-unreachable ICMP port unreachable (default)
port-unreach alias
icmp-net-prohibited ICMP network prohibited
net-prohib alias
icmp-host-prohibited ICMP host prohibited
host-prohib alias
tcp-reset TCP RST packet
tcp-rst alias
icmp-admin-prohibited ICMP administratively prohibited (*)
admin-prohib alias