Illegal question...

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Aug 18 16:47:20 UTC 2012

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 04:09 PM, fred smith uttered this comment:
>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 02:40:49PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>> On 08/16/2012 02:18 PM, Steven Stern issued this missive::

>>> Still wouldn't function unless someone's logged in. Personally, I never
>>> use NM except on a laptop that's going to roam. I use the old, crusty
>>> network scripts for machines that stay put.
>>
>> Rick, if that were the case then I wouldn't be able to ssh into my
>> eeepc from my desktop when no one is otherwise logged into the eeepc.
>> But I CAN do that...
>
> Possible. As others have stated, NM apparently will work if you set a
> global profile and I suppose I have that enabled on the one machine
> (laptop) I have NM enabled on since I, too, can ssh to it even if I've
> not logged into its console. That being said, for machines that "stay
> put" (servers and the like) I tend to use the old-school scripts.
>
> Hmmm, it seems you can have multiple "global" profiles. How does it
> decide which one to use by default if you have more than one? Has anyone
> found official docs on NM? I haven't but I haven't looked recently.

There is lots of doc, unfortunately of various ages and reflecting things that
were (probably) correct for the version of NM and Fedora in use at the time they
were written. I have had minimal luck making NM work as a global access method,
to make it work at all seems to expose connection information, etc, to all users.

Let us know if you find current doc, the last time I looked the wiki was still
talking about GNOME2 and appeared to be fc14 vintage.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>