possible problem with scp/ssh/telnet

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Aug 18 17:01:11 UTC 2012

Dave Ihnat wrote:
> Once, long ago--actually, on Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:27:51AM -0400--Bill Davidsen (davidsen at tmr.com) said:

>> ... I believe most Windows things are done by closed source
>> proprietary magic, involving a man in a loincloth with feathers in
>> his hair dancing around a fire waving a dead chicken.
>
> Actually, I see a lot of that when people try to describe Linux...they
> *can* go read the source, but they *don't*.
>
> Fortunately, Cygwin is all FOSS.  But, again, the vast majority of people
> never crack the source, so there's a certain amount of magic in their
> interpretation of the vagaries of the behavior of different packages.

Cygwin isn't really a "Windows thing" in the sense I meant, and certainly code
is out there. As many people know I'm not shy about cracking source code and
even had some patches accepted into the kernel, at least the "-ac" kernels as
lately as the 2.5 development process. But inferring admin procedures from
source is time consuming as best, doc is better.

Traditional closed source Windows OS and apps go back to the "dead chicken"
school of programming. I don't have to use Windows, and other than putting
changes in MS-BASIC back in the 90's, I don't want to see the source code if I
could. :-(

Your point about Cygwin and FOSS is a good one, and I agree that people don't
dive in even when they can. Everyone is too busy.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>