Question about Preferred Applications

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Aug 19 19:57:36 UTC 2012

My sister uses Linux, and has Thunderbird installed.  However, her
primary email address is at gmail.  She'd like to be able to click on
mailto: links and have gmail come up instead of Thunderbird.  AFAICT,
there's no obvious way to do it.  Does anybody out there know how that
could be automated?  (My sister isn't technically oriented; something
that takes several steps every time probably won't work.  However, I can
either set it up for her or talk her through doing it, as long as the
end result is easy for her to use.)