Weird freeze

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Aug 19 20:43:34 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 12:07 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 21.06.2012, Joe Zeff wrote:
>
>> Currently, my desktop's running F16, fully updated.  Just a few minutes ago,
>> I was reading my morning comics on-line when my box froze.  Nothing
>> responded.
>
> Does M-sysrq work?

When you asked this, I was away from home, and when I got back
everything was OK, so I forgot about it.  Recently, it happened again.
Now, I've activated the Magic Sysrq (making sure it's active at boot)
and printed out the instructions, JIC.  As there was a kernel update
this morning, I logged out instead of rebooting, switched to a text
console and tested it.  After several tries, I managed to press
Alt-SysRq-r correctly and got it to respond to that, but never got any
other presses to work.  After rebooting, I moved to a different console,
logged in as root and checked to make sure it was supposed to be active.
  Yes.  Again, it took several tries, but I managed to get r to work,
and it eventually responded to s, syncing the drives.  I can't say I'm
confident about it, but it might work when needed.  If you have any
suggestions about how to make it work properly, I'll be more than happy
to do some more testing.  After all, the worst I can do is blow away
some uptime.  Thanx again for your suggestion, and sorry I didn't get
back to you about it sooner.