Save rsyslog data -

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Sun Aug 19 21:11:51 UTC 2012

On 19.08.2012, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

>    [bobg at box9 rsyslog.d]$ cat emptyfile
>    #     /etc/rsyslog.d/emptyfile
>
>    :source, isequal, 192.168.1.9 /var/log/tomato.log
>    :source, isequal, 192.168.1.9 ~
>
>    Actually I even tried naming it emptyfile.conf out of desperation.

My bad, a big sorry! This file MUST have a .conf ending, otherwise it
will be ignored. Look into /etc/rsyslog.conf why; it contains these
lines:

 # Include all config files in /etc/rsyslog.d/
 $IncludeConfig /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf

So after rsyslog.conf, rsyslogd is sourcing all files which ends on
.conf in /etc/rsyslog.d.

>    Nothing is ever easy!

This is strange. I'm running Tomato 1.28 on a WRT-54GL
(Linksys/Cisco), and it logs perfectly into the file I defined in
the config, using the modifications from my mail.

Just to be absolutely shure: did you configure the logging options in
Tomato correctly?

Hmm, strange... could you try this:
look in your Tomato setup in "Basic -> Identification" and see if
there is a router name defined. Replace the IP with this name in the file in
/etc/rsyslog.d and restart the service. Does it work now?