Weird freeze

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Sun Aug 19 21:34:39 UTC 2012

On 19.08.2012, Joe Zeff wrote:

> Now, by "pressing
> and holding down AltGr+Prt(SysRq)" do you mean that I hold those two keys
> down, let go and then press the other key?

No. You press these two keys, hold it down, and add the other keys
while you are holding AltGr+Sysrq.

The AltGr key is most probably the right Alt key. I have a standard
norwegian keyboard and have no clue how yours look like :-)
The AltGr key is next to the space key on the right side in my case.

Open a console, try holding down the AltGr+Sysrq with your right hand
and press "s" with your left. This combination forces an emergency
sync (fsync) and does not harm. You should see a message on the
screen.

If you encounter a hang/freeze in X, you won't see anything, but in
most cases it works. You'll see the effect when your system reboots
after pressing "B". In some cases, you can see something in
/var/log/messages after bringing up your system again.