Magic Sysreg key problems.

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Aug 20 20:26:32 UTC 2012

On 08/20/2012 01:24 PM, Aaron Konstam uttered this comment:
> On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 13:05 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 08/20/2012 12:55 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> It is hard to know where to start with the problems with the use of the
>>> SysReg key.. Since acording to the Wikipedia notes in order to get these
>>> Magic SysReg features to work you have tp add the Ctrl button. So to
>>> reboot you would have to use the Ctrl+Alt+SysReg+ b button. On my
>>> workstation Keyboard this is nearly impossible to do because of the
>>> position of the SysReg key in the upper right corner of the keyboard.
>>> On my laptop where I can hit the keys the function fails to work.
>>> Without the Ctrl all you get is screen shots which I do get.
>>>
>>> With the alternate approach  of:
>>> echo key > /proc/sysreq-trigger the reboot works but I can't detect
>>> anything else working.
>>>
>>> So how does one use these magic keys ?
>>>

>> I can't speak for anybody else, but when I've experimented with it, I
>> used both hands.
>
> Ok, it can be reached when you use both hands but it still does not work
> for me. Does it matter which Ctrl key you use?

It shouldn't, but it's not "CTRL", it's "ALT". ALT-SYSRQ-commandkey

> Just to be clear, in /etc/sysctl.conf I changed: kernel.sysrq to 1 from
> 0.

Did you "sysctl -p" or reboot after doing that?
-   Physics is like sex ... it may give some practical results, but  -
-            that's not why we do it. -- Richard Feynman