configure postfix to drop e-mail

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Aug 21 08:11:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 08:51:25PM -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:
> I have a need to test network throughput for SMTP traffic on Fedora
> and I'd like to configure postfix to accept incoming e-mail from
> clients and drop them.  How can I go about that?

A postfix mailing list would be more appropriate?

In any case, look at man 5 access.

In /etc/postfix/access:
1.2.3.4	DISCARD message go bye

1.2.3.4. being the IP address of the client (see the man page for loads of
alternatives)

then:
# cd /etc/postfix
# postmap access

You might need to configure postfix to look at that access file.

Something like the following in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
  smtpd_client_restrictions =
          check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/access,

--
Regards,
Olav